Monday, December 28, 2015

The Goonies

As a kid in the 80s TV kept me company after school every day until dinner time or until I got kicked outside to play in the yard.  I remember every day for probably all of 88 and 89 when my grandma asked me what movie I wanted to watch I always said The Goonies.  I loved sitting on her couch and having Goonie adventures with my Goonie friends.  I've owned that movie (and Tommy Boy, which is tied for my #1 best movie) in every medium I've ever used, including VHS, DVD, UMD (the entire reason I bought a PSP was to watch movies in situations where I would otherwise have been expected to be social) and MP3 for my iPod and external hard drive, and I'll get it on whatever comes next.  Once when I lived overseas and my husband was off doing military things, I watched it all the way through, then again with the commentary... and then again to see what they were all talking about.  That's six hours of Goonies in a row and I've been tempted to do it again. 

Over the years, those kids have taken turns being my best friend (as I'm sure you can well imagine there's historically been a shortage of non-imaginary best friends).  Mouth and Data, played by Corey Feldman and Jonathan Ke Quan, shared my heart as the 'cute boys' of the movie back then and they were among my first celebrity crushes.  Yes, the first of MANY.  In general, my favorite Goonie has been Mikey although I really did, and still do, relate to poor Stef, who felt like she was babysitting except she wasn't getting paid.

I feel like I could probably pretty reliably say that everyone's favorite moments are brought to you by Chunk, played by Jeff Cohen.  From the movie theater barf to the Truffle Shuffle to my personal favorite, the moment where the Fratellis take away his ice cream spoon and he is distraught!

That cracks me up every time. 

Make sure to tell me your favorite part in the comments and which kid is/was your favorite.  Also, if you've never seen the music video that Cyndi Lauper made for the movie, get ready to live! https://youtu.be/LxLhytQ67fs

And lastly, just as a side note: I wasn't ever really into Brand as a kid or like... ever. But right now, as an adult, Josh Brolin is HOT.
And that's all. 

Never say die, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment