Thursday, April 14, 2016

Jersey Boys

When I was living in Germany, I got to do a LOT of traveling (no kids yet, of course).  One place I went was London, and while I was there I visited the Globe Theater, where Shakespeare worked.  I toured places that inspired Charles Dickens and I did two different Beatles walking tours.  I was going to do either Stonehenge or Platform 9 3/4 one day, then a Jack the Ripper tour at night... but when it was time to decide that morning I decided that I was keeping my pregnant butt in bed all day.  I did walking tours every day while I was there, but that last day I just went out for meals and watched the British food channel all day.  It was lovely.


 The Globe Theater

 The rooftop where The Beatles gave their last performance

Nothing relevant to the story; just beautiful London

The highlight of our trip (besides the Globe) was going to a Broadway play.  We saw Jersey Boys and let me tell you... if you haven't seen it, it's not what you expect.  It's basically a mob story (language, kids!) with music by The Four Seasons.  One of the characters is actually Joe Pesci (Yes, THAT Joe Pesci!) because he knew those guys way back then and he helped form the band.  This is all true, that's what's the coolest part of it! Well, like I said I was six months pregnant at the time so every time the music started up The Bookworm went completely NUTSO kicking and punching and twirling around in my belly.  I would say dancing, but I almost don't want to give it a positive spin.  It was pretty painful.  Even still, I couldn't help laughing.  It was really like he was dancing around in there. 


My ticket and a page from my program

In case you don't ever get the chance to see the stage show, don't worry your pretty little head.  They made a movie version, with Clint Eastwood (inexplicably) in the director seat.  I was worried that he was the wrong guy for the project, but that movie was so true to the stage show that I fell in love with it and I keep rewatching it.  I'm not the kind of person who would mind if a movie is drastically different than the original/book/play/whatever as long as it's good.  I get that movies are art and Xerox is not what artists are for.  So sure, there are a few differences between stage and screen but I promise they're all great.  Plus John Lloyd Young, who plays Frankie Valli, is one of the most attractive humans I've ever seen, particularly while singing.  Check him out, then watch the movie.  You'll love it.  Even guys, even though it's a musical.  No joke.

Here he is. *swoon*


No comments:

Post a Comment