Friday, June 3, 2016

Fablehaven

Hey there, pals! Long time no see.  I've been a bit sick and pretty busy, so my posts have been a little hit or miss (and this one should've posted yesterday), but now I'm back and I've got good news: I have a book series recommendation for you!  Hooray, right? It's a five-book series about two kids who go to visit family for the summer and discover that their grandparents' wildlife preserve is actually a preserve for magical creatures like fairies, centaurs, demons and even a witch or two.  The older sister, Kendra, is the honest, reliable one and her little brother, Seth, is well-meaning but impossible to harness.  He takes rules and commands more like suggestions and as a result he causes lots of problems, but by far not all of them.  He's also the one willing to take the biggest risks to solve problems and no spoilers, but he's easily my favorite character in the series.  I definitely like his storylines the best.  Well written, Brandon Mull.

Let me also say quickly that I read a lot of YA novels and that's only partially because I'm an aspiring YA novelist.  My main reason for choosing YA is because they often focus more on the adventure, and if there's any romance it's usually secondary(Twilight doesn't count).  Plus, I prefer the quick, satisfying pace used for teens.  I have two small children running around my house and I don't have time to devote six weeks to analyzing imagery for hours on end.  So if you haven't tried Young Adult novels since you were a young adult, maybe give them another try.  Fablehaven is a great place to start.

Check at your local library (since there are FIVE in the series and a companion book coming in Oct '16) or buy them all here or at any bookstore, Target, etc.

Alright, pals, here's the interactive portion of the post.  Drop on down to that little comment box and let me know what you think of YA novels and if you have a favorite.  And no shame if it's Twilight, I liked them too!




No comments:

Post a Comment