Monday, January 25, 2016

John Lithgow

As I mentioned the other day, my big kid is a bookworm.  So much so, that one of his birthday party themes was his favorite book, Marsupial Sue Presents: The Runaway Pancake.  I was really surprised the first time I saw that it was written by John Lithgow.  Yep, the creepy weirdo from Dexter, The Twilight Zone and 3rd Rock From The Sun.  Crazy, right? But actually, he's written a handful of kids' picture books and my favorite is The Remarkable Farkle McBride.  It's just fun.

Anyway, since this is The Bookworm's thing, I'll most likely have him draw a picture (he's to little to write a real letter) and include it and copies of the birthday pictures with whatever fan letter I end up sending to John Lithgow.  Here's how it went down: In the book, Auntie May mixes together some batter, puts it in the oven, does some housework and checks on her pancake only to find it gone. No spoilers, guys; this is all on the first page. At our party, I mixed up some batter, put it in the oven and read them the book.  Then when we went to check on our pancake, guess what? It was gone! We looked all over the house and in the backyard (especially the bouncy house), and then back to the kitchen again, where we found a DIY pancake bar and a pancake 'birthday cake'.  It was crazy fun and everyone loved it! We had a good time involving John Lithgow and no kids were frightened. True story. Here's proof.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment