Saturday, January 30, 2016

Saturday Spotlight: Jim Sullivan

I grew up way out west in California.  Not the cool, glamorous part like Hollywood or Malibu, but just out somewhere in the center of the desert.  Want proof? The town is called Desert Center.  Google it right now and you'll find news articles and blogs proclaiming it a ghost town.  I know this because after being free of the place for almost 25 blissful years, I decided to Google it (took a page out of Lot's wife's book), and that's exactly what I found.  One guy, Jim Sullivan, goes to all kinds of these ghost towns, explores and posts pictures which, frankly, cut me pretty deeply.  He beautifully captured the despair I felt as a city girl living in a town whose population hovered around 300 people at the time.  Our closest Wal-Mart, movie theater, drugstore... our closest HIGH SCHOOL was an hour away.  Keep that in mind as you look through the pictures.  Here's a sample of the ones that hit me the hardest, but for sure check out his blog.  There are tons more there, and he's done quite a few other towns, too.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment