Monday, February 29, 2016

Quantum Leap

Okay guys, I know.  More sci-fi.  But seriously, you've got to just get used to it.  It won't stop here.  One theme you might notice recurring is time travel.  I absolutely love the idea of people experiencing life in a time period not their own.  I imagine taking people into the future to see how famous they become (yes, I do sob every single time I watch Vincent and The Doctor) or taking the Hilton sisters to live alongside the Bronte sisters.  My favorite time travel story is a television series, Quantum Leap.  I watch it on Netflix and still love it, and as a kid seeing the hippies and the Motown stars was so fun!  Plus I totally believed that by now we'd all be dressing like Al and using strange neon plastic information calculators.  Actually, we do have palm-sized computers but they don't look like Al's, that's for sure!

Nice shirt, Al.  What, no double necktie this week?

Sam and Al were the perfect team.  Sam Beckett was played by Scott Bakula, whose fame followed him to Star Trek: Enterprise (you know I'm a Trekkie) and NCIS: New Orleans, which is actually devastatingly free of any science fiction at all.  Al Calavicci was played by Dean Stockwell, who has over 200 acting credits on IMDB, starting in 1945 and including this gem from 1948:
 

In case you're trying to math, his 80th birthday is coming up this Saturday! Definitely sending a card. 

So, do you like time travel?  Or do you prefer space travel?  If you know of any good shows or books set in different times that you'd like to recommend, I'd love to give them a shot.  Drop it into the comment box below.  I'd appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment