Monday, February 22, 2016

Saving Private Ryan (Buddy Checks)

I think I've mentioned before that I'm a veteran.  In America, an average of 22 veterans a day commit suicide, so because this is the first time my blog has had a post publish on the 22nd of a month, I'm using this opportunity to write about what I think is the most important and true-to-life military movie I've ever seen (if you disagree, please feel free to share your opinion in the comments section, but it should be noted that I don't watch many military movies).  When I was in high school, I worked in a movie theater and I'm actually SO OLD that this is when Saving Private Ryan came out.  It was released in the summer, so it's one of the movies that played during a weekday afternoon.  In smaller towns/cities they only do that when school is out which, I guess, is why summer blockbusters are a thing.  That's also why one day we had a movie that literally only one single person showed up for.  It was one of my teachers, Mr Stallons (remember the toilet seat, THS alumni?) and I stopped to chat with him for a few minutes.  He just really wanted to see it and couldn't wait for someone else to be available to come with him, so he sat there for three hours, all alone, watching one of the most emotionally draining movies of all time.  When it was done, I asked him if he'd liked it.  With his eyes still red, he assured me it was worth his time. 


http://savingprivateryan.wikia.com/wiki/File:Saving_Private_Ryan_by_Narusargent.jpg

When I watched it myself, I was so distraught that I decided never to see it again, but I did.  I bought it and I watched it over and over again, and it became one of my favorite movies.  I don't know the statistics on WWII veterans who took their own lives, but I know it happened.  And I know that today it's 22 veterans every single day.  So, if you know a veteran, whether he/she seems to be struggling or not, let the number 22 or this post serve as a reminder to give them a call or shoot them an email to check in and make sure things are going okay.  That's called a Buddy Check (particularly if you're a veteran yourself... in the Army they have a Battle Buddy system).  If they think they might need it, be ready with a number to a suicide hotline.  The veteran crisis line has a hotline that can be reached 24/7, 365 days a year.  It's completely anonymous and they're specially trained to deal with the many concerns that veterans face.  You can call and talk to someone at 1-800-273-8255 (veterans, press one when it picks up) or if you'd rather text, send a message to 838255.  I've checked it out and it's legit and still in order.  After your session ends, they even send you a message confirming that your entire conversation has been deleted, so they don't keep anything for their records. 



It's a pretty good deal.  Call if you need it, even if you're not a veteran.  They're there to help.



Me in my Seabee days.
 Pics by Matt Layton

No comments:

Post a Comment